Monday, April 3, 2017

DIY portable watercolors

Hi there! Well, this is the first DIY of the blog, so for this edition of DIYs I wanted to make things that are practical, simple, and easy to do. It's been a while since I have wanted to buy some portable Koi watercolors, but I would have to buy them from amazon, and sometimes here in Mexico they charge us a lot of taxes. So, for the moment, i decided to do a little box that could help me out a bit with making my watercolors more portable, so that I could take them to school. I saw many boxes like this in Instagram, where they already sold the box with many pretty square watercolors, but sadly I only have tubes. So, this is a little walkthrough of what I did. Hope you like it!

First, you'll need: 
1. A mint box, or tin box.
2. Chewing gum package (enjoy emptying it first)
3. Watercolor, in tubes.
4. White nail polish.
5. A small sponge (I used paper, cause that was all I had for the moment)
6. Silicone or glue
These are the steps:
1. Cut your gum package so that it fits inside the tin.
2. Paste with silicone your gum package "spaces" and let them dry.
 3. Fill your gum package with the desired colors (you can make many different pallets, and exchange them) I used primary colors for this one.

4. Add some water to the watercolors and flatten the surface.
5. Grab your white nail polish and paint the lid of the tin. (This will give us a surface to mix colors)
6. Add your piece of sponge or paper to the remaining space inside the box. (This will help you clean your brush) And you are done!

I really hope you try this at home, and it ends up being as useful and practical as it has been for me. Remember you can always change your color palette for different purposes and occasions, with this little box you'll always be prepared for making a watercolor painting!

Happy Monday! Love, Monica.

Ps. For those who live in US, you can also buy some beautiful handmade watercolors I found on Instagram from Red Wood Willow.

No comments:

Post a Comment